Beetle Killed Pine – Questions to ask prior to purchasing.Posted: November 4, 2019
We are the only manufactures that specifically harvest beetle kill Ponderosa Pine trees that have been standing dead for up 5 years. Our beetle kill pine is salvaged from trees that range from 100-400 years old. The longer a tree naturally stands dead in a forest the more blue stain it will develop due to the fungi that has been introduced into the tree by the mountain pine beetle. Ponderosa Pine trees have a very thick bark which allows the tree to dry out slowly, allowing the fungus to penetrate deep into the tree. Due to natural decay, cracks, splits, and rot; these trees have been forgotten in the forest and left to rot on the stump. We’re only able to salvage approximately 50% of the tree, but we believe it’s still worth it.
Our blue stain wall planks and paneling, as well as our blue stain pine flooring contains approximately 80% stain compared to other producers that average only 15%. We are the actual manufactures, we sell and ship factory direct, you can rest assured your order will contain only the highest quality and color anywhere on market.
If you’re think about using Beetle Killed Pine on your next project, here are some questions to ask the manufacture:
- What percentage of your product will contain blue stain?
- What is the moisture content?
- Is your product sanded?
- Is your product 99% usable?
- Is your product end-matched (T&G on the ends)?
- What are the lengths?
- What is the thickness?
- What widths do you offer?
- Does your product allow for wane on the edges (the rounded part of the tree)?
- How is your product packaged?
- How is your product delivered?
- Do you offer it pre-finished?
- MADE IN THE USA
- SURFACES – Walls & ceilings
- SPECIES – Salvaged Montana Beetle Killed Ponderosa Pine
- GRADE QUALITY – 99% usable
- STABILITY – Fine grain averaging 15 growth rings per inch
- HARDNESS – 510 Janka Rating
- MOISTURE CONTENT – Cured & kiln dried to 6-8% moisture content
- THICKNESS – Full 3/4″
- WIDTHS – 3 1/4″, 5 1/8″, & 7″ face coverage
- LENGTH – Random up to 8′
- GRAIN – Mixed
- TEXTURE – Sanded
- PROFILE – Micro bevel edges, relief kerfs, clinch line, T&G and end-matched (T&G on the ends)
- FINISH – Available unfinished or pre-finished
- CERTIFICATION – 100% salvaged wood harvested within 100 mile radius of our facility. LEED eligible based on various criteria including salvaged and locally sourced material
- DISTRIBUTION – Factory direct shipping anywhere in the U.S.
- INSTALLATION – Blind nail, face nail, or glue & nail
- DISCLAIMER – This is a natural wood product. Color, texture, grain, and sheen will vary from board to board.