Why Douglas Fir Hardwood Flooring?Posted: February 5, 2015
Douglas Fir flooring has been the preferred hardwood flooring throughout the Rocky Mountain West for over a century. With a 200 year old proven track record, many old barns, granaries, and western structures still contain Douglas Fir that has withstood the test of time. In fact many of these old structures are being reclaimed and re-manufactured into hardwood flooring that will extend their life to yet another generation.
History fact – Glacier Park Lodge was built in 1912 and is supported by 60 massive Douglas Fir timbers. The actual age of the trees range from 600-900 years old. The timbers range from 36-42″ in diameter, stand 40′ tall, and still contain their bark!
Douglas Fir has the highest strength to weight ratio of any wood species and is renowned throughout the world for it’s durability, strength, and natural beauty. Douglas Fir is widely considered to be one of the finest materials available for trim, moulding, doors, flooring, windows, siding, and structural beams. Douglas Fir flooring has been used throughout the US since the 1800′s and is often found in classic historic homes. Douglas Firs’ natural resistance to decay makes it an excellent choice in all building applications, in fact the oldest accurately-dated Douglas Fir is 1275 years old and stands in New Mexico.
With our streamlined manufacturing process and factory direct shipping, we can efficiently and affordably ship this historic and proven hardwood flooring anywhere in the country.
ARCHITECTURAL & DESIGN SPECS:
- MADE IN THE USA
- MINIMUM ORDER – 200 sq.ft.
- SURFACES – Floors, walls & ceilings
- SPECIES – Salvaged and sustainably certified Douglas Fir
- GRADE QUALITY – 99% usable
- STABILITY – Fine grain averaging 15 growth rings per inch
- HARDNESS – 770 Janka Rating
- MOISTURE CONTENT – Cured & kiln dried to 6-8% moisture content
- THICKNESS – Full 3/4″
- WIDTHS – 3 1/4″, 5 1/8″, & 7″ face coverage
- LENGTH – Random up to 8′
- GRAIN – Mixed
- COLOR – 8 prefinished colors
- TEXTURE –Canyon Collection, Mountain Collection, Vintage Collection
- PROFILE – Micro bevel edges, relief kerfs, clinch line, T&G and end-matched (T&G on the ends)
- FINISH – Multi step factory finish including hand rubbed penetrating oils & durable low/no VOC water based catalyzed finish
- CERTIFICATION – 100% salvaged or SFI Certified wood harvested within 100 mile radius of our facility. LEED eligible based on various criteria including salvaged and locally sourced material
- DISTRIBUTION – Factory direct shipping anywhere in the U.S.
- INSTALLATION – Nail, Glue, or Nail & Glue
- DISCLAIMER – This is a natural wood product. Color, texture, grain, and sheen will vary from board to board.