How to fix a squeaky hardwood floorPosted: February 5, 2024
If you’ve ever walked across a squeaky hardwood floor you know how annoying it can be. Squeaky hardwood floors are not only an irritation, but they can also be a sign of greater underlying issues. In this post, we will discuss the common causes of this annoyance and provide DIY step-by-step solutions to help you learn how to fix squeaky hardwood floors.
Common Causes of Squeaky Hardwood Floors
- Seasonal Changes: Temperature fluctuations can cause your hardwood floor to expand and contract, resulting in loose floorboards that rub against each other or the subfloor.
- Uneven Subfloor: An uneven subfloor can cause the floorboards to rub against each other or the subfloor, leading to squeaks.
- Joist Issues: Loose or missing nails in the floor joists can cause the floorboards to rub against each other or the subfloor, creating a squeak.
- Loose Floorboards: Over time, floorboards can become loose, allowing them to rub against each other or the subfloor.
- Poor Installation: If your hardwood floor was not installed correctly, it can lead to squeaks and other issues.
- Identify the source of the squeak: Walk around your floor and try to pinpoint the location of the squeak. If you have access to the subfloor, you can use a flashlight to locate the source of the squeak.
- Lubricate the squeaky area: Apply a dry lubricant like graphite or talcum powder to the squeaky area. Sprinkle the powder over the area then work it into the cracks with a dry non-abrasive rag.
- Screw or nail the subfloor to the joists: If the squeak is caused by a loose floorboard, you can screw or nail the subfloor to the joists to eliminate the movement causing the squeak. Be sure to countersink the screws or nails to avoid any sharp edges.
- Use a Squeeeeek No More Kit: A variety of kits are available specifically designed to fix hardwood floor squeaks. These kits are commonly available online or in your local box or flooring store. Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
Needing to fix squeaky hardwood floors can be a frustrating problem, but with the right tools and knowledge, they can be fixed. By identifying the source of the squeak and following the steps outlined here, you can silence those pesky squeaks and enjoy a quiet, peaceful home.
Our knowledgeable and educated staff is here to answer any additional questions you may have about our sustainable hardwood flooring. Please call us anytime for a free quote: Ph# 406.642.7120 or click here to submit an inquiry online. We look forward to working with you on your next project!